Friday 7 April 2017

Coachella 2017 | My Recommendations.


Festival season is fast approaching! Kick starting the summer with a bang, comes Coachella, the Californian festival spread over two weekends. Since 1999, the Palm Springs desert has played host to some iconic line ups, including, Beck, The Chemical Brothers, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine and the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs, to name a few.

Although I've never been, I find myself often daydreaming of dancing under the Californian sun whilst The Cure play in the background. The festival usually has something for everyone. So if you're fortunate enough to attend, here's some recommendations to check out...





Surf Curse are fairly new on my radar. But, boy, am I in love. The duo from Reno, Nevada, play enthusiastic and infectious surf rock at it's finest. They're loud, raw and completely perfect for those simple, summer days we've spent the winter dreaming of.  Watch out for these guys. I think they're going places.

For Fans Of: Wavves, FIDLAR
Find Them: Saturday 15th & 23rd




let's throwback to 2008 for a moment. They had just relaunched 90210 on TV, and it very quickly became one of my favourite shows. Judge me, I don't care. Whatever your opinion, I'm sure you'll agree it had a great soundtrack. I discovered quite a few bands through that show, one of them being Glass Animals. With fizzing vocals and popping synths, these guys have basically created the perfect mixtape for any beach party.

For Fans Of: Purity Ring, Local Natives, Imagine Dragons
Find Them: Friday 14th & 21st




I don't remember how, or even when, I discovered Warpaint. I just know I'm glad I did. The all girl band create a sound that's gloomy and spacey. Blending numerous genres together, they've made a funky style that sounds like it's walked straight out of the 90's. The LA quartet are lucid and dreamy; the perfect soundtrack for the Palm Springs desert.

For Fans Of: Haim, Bat For Lashes, The 1975
Find Them: Saturday 15th & 22nd




I found Crystal Castles after they collaborated with The Cure's Robert Smith. I was instantly mesmerised by the Canadian duo. The vocals are ghost like but somewhat aggressive, while the music is electric yet haunting. Experimental synths are mixed with the duo's adrenaline to create their sought after shows. 

For Fans Of: Cut Copy, CSS
Find Them: Friday 14th & 21st 




Manchester band, Blossoms, bring garage rock and pop together to create a mysterious and unique sound. They're songs have an attitude that's catchy and infectious, whilst their haunting lyrics often show vulnerability. Blossoms mix esscences of electric 80's pop and 90's/early 00's indie rock together to make a unique blend of music that's filled with groove and swagger. These guys will be big in the future. I'm sure of it.

For Fans Of: The 1975, The Hunna, Viola Beach
Find Them: Saturday 15th & 22nd




Teaming up to make all of our electro-pop dreams come true are Porter Robinson and Madeon. Together, the pair make a magical sound, all sweet and fun, which will make your imagination go wild. The last thing their shows are is boring, so expect an enthusiatic, confident set from the duo, which will transport you to a total dreamscape.

For Fans Of: Kaskade, Zedd, NERVO
Find Them: Sunday 16th & 23rd




Filling in for Beyonce on the headliner spot is Lady Gaga. I won't go too much into a detail on this on, because unless you've been living under a rock for the last decade, you'll know who she is. She is anything but boring. And I'm pretty sure her live shows are just the same; wild, other-wordly and ready to fill your imagination.

For Fans Of: Katy Perry, Madonna, Britney Spears
Find Her: Saturday 15th & 22nd




I think Grouplove are another band I found through 90210. (I did say it had a killer soundtrack) The five piece from Los Angeles, CA, have the most perfect tunes to dance around the desert too. Their music is happy and completely blissful, colourful and energetic. Anyone who enjoys indie-pop/upbeat surf-rock will fall in love with Grouplove. Go see their set. You'll be sure to come away with a smile on your face.

For Fans Of: Sunset Sons, Passion Pit, Young The Giant, Walk The Moon
Find Them: Sunday 16th &23rd




The Atomics consists of model Lucky Blue Smith, and his sisters, Pyper America, Daisy Clementine and Queen Starlie. Yes. Those are their real names. Raised in Utah, the siblings started making music together around six years ago, and have since created tunes that are whimsical and nostalgic, giving them a groovy, surf tone. Their quirky and unique -don't just think another insta-famous model is trying his hand at music- The Atomics have a long career ahead of them.

For Fans Of: Haim, Sky Ferreira, Jessie Ware
Find Them: Saturday 15th & 22nd




Steve Angello was one third of Swedish House Mafia. Arguably, they are the most influential electronic act since the millennium. Since the disbandment and taking on a solo career, Angello has a healthy dose of hype around his name. And for good reason. His music is slightly rebellious and boisterous, with a hint of nostalgia. Arena ready, his set will make you feel free and in love.

For Fans Of: Axwell, Dirty South, Avicii, Benny Banassi
Find Him: Friday 14th & 21st



More recommendations? The XX, Two Door Cinema Club, Radiohead, Future Islands, Dream Car, Bastille, Kendrick Lamar, Local Natives, Downtown Boys.

Are you going to Coachella?
Who are you excited to see?
Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr
Listening to: Porter Robinson & Madeon- Shelter.


Disclaimer: None of the photos are mine but I have edited them.
I have credited where I found each photo but am unsure as to who the original photographers are.
If you know, please contact me so I give credit where necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment