Saturday 16 August 2014

"You Will Skate Between Stars And Surf On Clouds."


Original Photo: Glen E Friedman

It's been about 24 hours since I heard the news that Jay Adams had died. And I'm still waiting for someone to tell me it's some kind of sick joke, that it's all a lie, that he's fine and surfing some big-ass waves somewhere. I don't think that anyone's going to tell me that though...

The second I watched Dogtown and Z-boys I was hooked. I wanted to know more. I needed to learn about these crazy kids from Venice. Their way of life had (and still does have) me obsessed. Then the Lords of Dogtown film came out. Which I've watched more times than any of you need to know. 

Jay Adams, yeah, he was the one that interested me the most.
I'm not sure why. But whatever it was, he had a massive impact on my life.

He made me face my fears by picking up a skateboard and teaching myself to skate. Ok, so I'm no where near the best skater -but he made me realise its ok to fall and get hurt, just to get straight back up. 
Hell, if he hadn't existed skateboarding probably wouldn't either.
He changed the world when he was still a teenager.

He didn't care about the whole commercial side of skateboarding.
He just had this total Fuck You attitude to that side of things.
I think that's pretty cool. And I also think that's pretty rare.
Especially now. Everyone seems obsessed with that part of life. 

I don't want to live like that. 
Jay didn't. He did what he loved and his love was enough. 

It's not just skating though.
He taught  me to be this weird wacky-ass kid and not give a shit what people thought. 
You know, just do what you love and not give a damn.
That it's ok to listen to punk music, to pull crazy rat faces, to not be like the other kids.

I hope there's some empty pools up there for you to skate, Jay.
And thank you. For changing my life. For everything.
I hope to live a life full of love and spontaneity, and be as unpredictable as you were.
You crazy kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment